Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 020 - The Discovery Islands Lodge, Quadra Island

We needed a shower, some rest, to wash our clothes and a place to just chill for a couple of days. I (Marc) found this place online and thought it looked cute and was reasonably priced for what it was. 

It was amazing, the drive to get there was alittle crazy. After another ferry trip to Quadra Island from Vancouver Island it's a 45 min drive through the dense forest. 50 % of it is gravel road and the condition of the roads seems to just get worse and worse and steaper and steaper.  After you think it can't honestly be any further as the road is now bairly dirt and half a lane, we suddenly arrived to the remote lodge.

http://www.discovery-islands-lodge.com/

Once inside we completely relaxed, the whole place is fully sustainable with solar heated water, generators and gas powered appliances so very eco friendly. Our host's Beth and Kate were super friendly and accomodating. We also met some nice Canadian people from Kelowna who offered us a room if we drop by. 
The view from the lounge area





The coolest part of the whole cabbin experiance was the wood fire sauna they had on the pier. We all got together at around 10pm and swapped stories in the ultra hot sauna, and when it got too hot we jumped into the freezing cold ocean and watched the Bioilumensuns swirl around our bodies as we thrashed around in the water.

An exaple of the Bioluminescence

Microscoped Bioluminescence - when contacted they release light energy stored from the day.
Sandrine here - I wasn't going to get into the water as its really cold, like 7 degrees or something.  Allan, Gordon and Beth were telling us that you don't even feel it because you are so hot from the sauna.  Marc soon got convinced to jump in and it was beautiful.  I was just watching all the beautiful lights around them and it was pretty cool.  I thought to myself, I have an opportunity to do something I have never done before.... isn't that what this whole trip is about.... So I did it!!  And I am so glad I did.  Don't be fooled, it was SO COLD!!!  And you do feel it! Was it worth it?? It sure was!  I still can see all the dots of light illuminate around me in the dark water, it was out of this world!!!  Marc tells me the Bioluminescence is what inspired the look of Avatar, which is pretty cool.

Thanks to everyone I was with that night for convincing me to do it, I ended up doing it twice and I will never forget that night ;-)

An example of how the bioilumeanesance influenced the design of Avatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment